P: (317) 238-6284
F: (317) 636-1507
One Indiana Square
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2079
Paul C. Gosnell
Paul Gosnell is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property and Technology Practice Group and concentrates his practice in intellectual property, in particular, patent law. Mr. Gosnell brings 7 years experience as a registered patent attorney and 16 years of engineering experience for large multinational corporations to the service of the Firm's clients. As a patent attorney, Mr. Gosnell has provided legal services as outside counsel to many well known large multinational corporations. Mr. Gosnell provides guidance to clients in matters of patent law; drafts and prosecutes patent applications in the U.S. and internationally; provides legal opinions as to noninfringement, patent invalidity and patentability; and appeals patents before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences.
Mr. Gosnell’s technical experience ranges from simple to complex mechanical and electrical/electronic systems, including gas turbine and internal combustion engine systems and components; transmissions; hydraulic systems; control systems; fuel cell systems; biomedical devices and systems; navigation systems; satellite digital communications; industrial/agricultural/forestry equipment; inkjet and laser printer mechanical and electrical/electronic/computer systems; image processing; driver software; computer firmware; chip design/manufacturing/logic; optics; and color science.
- Successfully drafted and prosecuted patent applications to issue in the U.S. and abroad
- Successfully appealed patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences
- Provided noninfringement, patent invalidity and patentability opinions to large multinational corporations as outside counsel
- Advised clients regarding patents, design arounds and patent strategy.
- Counseled inventors regarding patent protection
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in Indianapolis, Indiana (J.D., 1994)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia (B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, summa cum laude, 1986)
- Indiana, 1994
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 1994
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 2000
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (Registered to practice since 2000)
Awards and Recognitions
- Tau Beta Pi, National Engineering Honor Society
- 2007 Crime Fighter of the Year Award (Cumberland, Indiana)