Stacy Walton Long
Stacy Long is a member of the firm’s Healthcare and Litigation Practice Groups. She represents and advises the firm’s Healthcare clients regarding many significant legal issues, including security breach incidents and risk assessments involving Protected Health Information and other personal information under HIPAA/HITECH and other Federal and State laws governing the privacy and security of such information. Ms. Long also counsels and advises clients on HIPAA/HITECH compliance programs, as well as breach notification obligations and audits initiated by Federal and State governmental agencies. She also represents individual professionals and healthcare providers in licensing and disciplinary matters, and works with mental health providers on confidentiality matters and commitment proceedings.
In addition to her health care practice, Ms. Long represents clients in State and Federal courts in a variety of litigation matters, including tort claims, preservation of mental health records, commitments to mental health facilities, breach of contract, commercial collections, landlord-tenant disputes, commercial foreclosures, and other commercial disputes.
In addition, Ms. Long has represented corporate clients on-site with their day-to-day operations, including negotiating, reviewing, and drafting contracts.
Ms. Long has been a member of the firm’s Diversity Committee since its inception. She is also a member of Executive Women in Healthcare, American Health Lawyers Association, and American Bar Association.
- Represent Covered Entities with HIPAA Security Risk Assessments and Privacy Audits, Business Associate Agreements, compliance policies and procedures under HIPAA/HITECH, proper uses and disclosures of Protected Health Information, and breach notification obligations
- Represented a rehabilitation center in prevailing on judicial review of an administrative matter involving denial of Indiana Medicaid payments
- Represented a mental health facility which prevailed on an appeal of a commitment order
- Represented mental health facilities in commitment hearings and hearings contesting the release of mental health records
- Represented an individual plaintiff who prevailed in a bench trial against an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (“ESOP”), where the Court found that the ESOP violated the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1975 (“ERISA”) and the terms of the ESOP itself in its payment of ESOP benefits to terminated participants
- Counsel in several matters involving issues of breach of contract in Federal and State courts
- Representation of several major financial institutions and corporations relating to commercial collections and commercial foreclosures
- University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign, Illinois (J.D., cum laude, 2004)
- Harno Scholar
- Rickert's Award Nominee for excellence in Trial Advocacy
- American Bar Association Negotiation Competition - Finalist
- Black Law Student Association
- University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois (B.A., 2001) Dean's List
- Indiana, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 2004
- Indianapolis Bar Association – Healthcare Section, Litigation Section (Member)
- Indiana State Bar Association (Member)
- Executive Women in Healthcare (Member)
- American Health Lawyers Association (Member)
- American Bar Association – Healthcare Section, Litigation Section (Member)
- Girls Inc. (Former Board Member)
Awards and Recognitions
- Indiana Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2009-2016
- 2014 Lawyers of Color Hot List Honoree